Dear RBS members
Thanks for attending Spring Dance May 14th. What a show the Blues Monsters put on. We had Boomtown event staff bring out two big stacks of extra chairs TWICE - a good problem to have since the walk up sales were more than twice what we are used to. We'll plan for more tables and chairs for our next dance in the fall.
Kudos to new vice president and merchandise chair Steve Kaye and his wife for inventorying our merchandise and bringing a few items to sell at the dance!
Shout outs to new board secretary Yvonne Deslongchamp and long-time board member Roger Slugg for manning the ticket and raffle table.
We'll have a complimentary booth with all our merchandise (and maybe a new item or two?) at the Eldorado's BBQ, Brews and Blues on Virginia Street downtown Reno June 10;th and 11th. Make sure you stop by to renew your membership (or join) and pickup some new RBS-logoed t's, tanks, polos, baseball caps and fedoras.
More on BBQ, Brews and Blues and other events below.
Time to Renew Your RBS Membership; Lifetime Trustee Update
Our membership year now runs July 1st through June 30th, so it is fast approaching. Dues are just $20 a year ($30 for for two years) or $30 for a couple/family for a year or $50 for two years. Lifetime Memberships (Trustees we call them) are $200 so you never pay dues again. If you haven't recently joined or renewed, please do so soon. Just click on the "Join RBS" tab below for instructions and payment options.
Note regarding Lifetime Memberships
For our first 15 years or so, a lifetime membership was just $100 but they have been $200 for several years now. A couple of early Lifetime Members mentioned they would be willing to help raise funds for us by donating an additional $100 to bring them up to the current Lifetime Trustee price. So, if you are an original Lifetime Trustee at the $100 level and you feel so inclined, please do so via the methods mentioned above and just indicate that on the membership form you fill out. Thanks in advance if you are able to do that.
RBS' Third Thursday Schedule
Don't forget about our monthly social the third Thursday each month April through October. First one there, grab a table for us. The rest of the schedule is:
• May 19, at Lil' Wal outdoor patio at 5:15pm.
• June 16, at Pub 'n Sub on 10th and Ralston in their backyard patio at 5:15pm
• July 21, at Great Basin Brewery (Victorian Avenue) on their patio at 5:15pm
• August 18, at Famous Dave's on Kietzke Lane on their patio at 5:15pm
• September 15, at Mama Celeste's Gastropub & Pizzeria on Los Altos (just off Pyramid Way) on their patio at 5:15pm
• October 20, at Archie's on N. Virginia across from the University of Nevada on their upstairs outdoor balcony at 5:15pm
The Events page now lists the Summer concert schedules for Truckee, Kings Beach , Tahoe City, Carson City, the Palisades Tahoe and BBQ, Brews & Blues in Reno. Webmaster Bruce Titus keeps this updated, so if you have a music schedule you've seen but isn't up there or you know of a blues event, contact Bruce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RBS to be a Sponsor at Palisades Tahoe Bluesday Tuesday
This series runs June 14 through August 30 from 6:00-8:30pm in The Village at Palisades Tahoe (formerly Squaw Valley). We're a sponsor and will have a banner, be announced as a sponsor and possible be the featured sponsor for one of the week's artists, to be determined. We raised $2,000 at Mardi Gras' silent auction to be able to invest in this popular blues event
Eldorado's BBQ, Brews and Blues June 10th and 11th
We'll have a booth for the 25th anniversary of this event in downtown Reno on Virginia Street between 3rd and 4th Streets with stages at 3rd and 4th. We will have a complimentary booth somewhere at the festival with all our merchandise and we'll be renewing memberships and signing up new folks from 3-9pm Friday and noon to 8pm Saturday. Vice-president and merchandise chair Steve Kaye will be coordinating this event so if you want to volunteer for a shift, contact Steve at email@example.com.
Summer Membership Party
We're looking for a member with a home and yard that can accommodate maybe 30-40 folks for our summer membership party. This is a pot luck - everyone brings a dish to share and their own drinks and the RBS and the host share the cost of booking a local blues band to play. We held one last year at Living the Good Life (no one felt comfortable having one at their home) but they are no longer in business. It's much friendlier and homier to have at someone's patio/backyard so we're looking for a member to step up. If you are interested, give me a call at 848-2590 to discuss.
Every Tuesday at Harrah's in Stateline, the Buddy Emmer Blues Band does a show featuring a different guest artist from 8 pm to 11pm at the Center Stage bar. Buddy's been doing this series for years, with a little hiatus during Covid-19. He gets local, regional and even national acts each week to be guest performers. Click here for a listing of his scheduled guest artists.
Jamie Klund - President of Reno Blues Society
Keepin’ the blues alive in Northern Nevada
Membership in the Reno Blues Society
We would love to have you join RBS! Members are entitled to a monthly newsletter and discounted tickets to all RBS events.
- Download a membership application in Microsoft Word format ... Word Application
- Download a membership application in PDF format that can be filled out in Acrobat Reader... PDF Application
- Mail a check made out to Reno Blues Society to Reno Blues Society, P.O. Box 10742, Reno, NV 89510-0742.
- Or... you can use the PayPal link below to join or renew:
Our Board of Directors
Membership ~ Brenda Cash
Silent Auctions ~ Paula Nesbitt
PR, Newsletter, Social Media ~ Jamie Klund
Music Grants ~ Elizabeth Mink
Merchandise ~ Steve Kaye
Webmaster ~ Bruce Titus
Band Procurement ~ Dennis Ratto
RBS owes so much to our great sponsors!
RBS Offering Music Scholarships
The Reno Blues Society is now accepting applications for music students (voice or instrument) based on need. The scholarships will be $500 each and we plan to award three or four each year, depending on fundraising success and number of applicants.
We previously reached out to the music teachers at the Washoe County School District high schools and we are now opening this up to the general public. The brief nomination process is outlined below. Once this program is up and running we will accounce the deadline.
- Include name of student, year in school, and the reason he or she needs the music scholarship. (A few paragraphs are fine. We don't need a long essay on this).
- Student should be economically disadvantaged so that the scholarship would allow him or her to buy an instrument he/she is now renting or borrowing or pursue some private lessons.
- Student has demonstrated a real interest and talent in music, ideally blues, jazz or rock but not limited to those genres.
- Name, email and phone number of music teacher making the nomination.
- Include all this information for each student nominated, up to three nominees per high school.
- Send nominations with all requested information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student(s) awarded the grant and nominating teacher agree to be present at a future Reno Blues Society Dance (tbd) for a brief awards' ceremony.