Dear RBS Members
Thanks for attending Spring Dance May 14. What a show the Blues Monsters put on. We had to have Boomtown event staff bring out two big stacks of extra chairs TWICE - good problem to have since the walk up sales were more than twice what we are used to. We'll plan for more tables and chairs for our next dance in the fall. Kudos to new vice president and merchandise chair Steve Kaye and his wife for inventorying our merchandise and bringing a few items to sell at the dance! Shout outs to new board secretary Yvonne Deslongchamp and long-time board member Roger Slugg for manning the ticket and 50/50 raffle table. And thanks to those who helped out at our booth at the Eldorado's BBQ, Brews and Blues June 10th and 11th.
Time to Renew Your RBS Membership; Lifetime Trustee Update
Our membership year now runs July 1 through June 30 so it is fast approaching. If you haven't recently joined or renewed, please do so soon. You can do via PayPal on our web site, renobluessociety.org, or send a check made out to Reno Blues Society and mailed to Reno Blues Society, P.O. Box 10742, Reno, NV 89510-0742. Dues are just $20 a year (or $30 for for two years)or $30 for a couple/family for a year or $50 for two years. And Lifetime Memberships (Trustees we call them) are $200 - never pay dues again. Speaking of Lifetime Memberships, for our first 15 years or so, it was just $100 and has been $200 for several years now. A couple of early Lifetime Members mentioned they would be willing to help raise funds for us by donating $100 to bring them up to the current Lifetime Trustee price. So, if you are an original Lifetime Trustee at the $100 level and you feel so inclined, please do so via the methods mentioned above and just indicate that on the membership form you fill out. Thanks in advance if you are able to do that.
RBS' Third Thursday Schedule
Don't forget about our monthly social the third Thursday each month April through October. First one there, grab a table for us. The rest of the schedule is:
- June 16, at Pub 'n Sub on 10th and Ralston in their backyard patio at 5:15pm
- July 21, at Great Basin Brewery (Victorian Avenue) on their patio at 5:15pm
- August 18, at Famous Dave's on Kietzke Lane on their patio at 5:15pm
- September 15, at Mama Celeste's Gastropub & Pizzeria on Los Altos (just off Pyramid Way) on their patio at 5:15pm
- October 20, at Archie's on N. Virginia across from the University of Nevada on their upstairs outdoor balcony at 5:15pm
The Events page has the full schedules for the Truckee, Lazy 5 Regional Park, Kings Beach and Commons Beach summer concerts, the Levitt Amp Series in Carson City at BAC, the Palisades Tahoe Tuesday Bluesdays schedule and much more. Webmaster Bruce Titus keeps this updated when the venues announce their schedules. If you have a music schedule you've seen but isn't up there or you know of a blues event, contact Bruce ~ firstname.lastname@example.org.
RBS to be a Sponsor of Palisades Tahoe Tuesday Bluesdays
This series runs June 14th through August 30th from 6:00-8:30pm in The Village at Palisades Tahoe (formerly Squaw Valley). The $2,000 we raised from the Mardi Gras' silent auction was presented to Palisades on opening night, June 14th.
Summer Membership Party
We have a member who stepped up to offer her home for our summer party. Sunday, August 21st from 3-7pm
We will announce the host, address and the band once all the details are finalized. This is a pot luck - everyone brings a dish to share and their own drinks and the RBS and the host share the cost of booking a local blues band to play. Potluck will go 3-4 and music from 4-7pm. Stay tuned for details.
Blues Jams, Shows Coming Soon
Every Tuesday at Harrah's in Stateline, the Buddy Emmer Blues Band does a show featuring a different guest artist from 8-11pm at the Center Stage bar. Buddy's been doing this series for years, with a little hiatus during Covid-19, but he gets local, regional and even national acts each week to be guest performers. The schedule is on the Events page.
July 8-September 3, the Glow District on 4th and Washington sponsored by the Sands Regency will have a summer music series in their new 8,000-seat amphitheater with music 6:30-10:30pm both weekend nights. The venue, which opened on a small scale last summer, is under construction.
Jamie Klund - President of Reno Blues Society
Keepin’ the blues alive in Northern Nevada
The Reno BLUES Society is a good source for information on great blues music in the Reno / Carson City / Lake Tahoe area.
If you're not an RBS member, join now by clicking on the "Join RBS" tab below. Once you're an RBS member you'll always have your finger on the pulse of all the blues you can use!!
RBS Offering Music Scholarships
The Reno Blues Society is now accepting applications for music students (voice or instrument) based on need. The scholarships will be $500 each and we plan to award three or four each year, depending on fundraising success and number of applicants.
We previously reached out to the music teachers at the Washoe County School District high schools and we are now opening this up to the general public. The brief nomination process is outlined below. Once this program is up and running we will accounce the deadline.
- Include name of student, year in school, and the reason he or she needs the music scholarship. (A few paragraphs are fine. We don't need a long essay on this).
- Student should be economically disadvantaged so that the scholarship would allow him or her to buy an instrument he/she is now renting or borrowing or pursue some private lessons.
- Student has demonstrated a real interest and talent in music, ideally blues, jazz or rock but not limited to those genres.
- Name, email and phone number of music teacher making the nomination.
- Include all this information for each student nominated, up to three nominees per high school.
- Send nominations with all requested information via email to email@example.com
- Student(s) awarded the grant and nominating teacher agree to be present at a future Reno Blues Society Dance (tbd) for a brief awards' ceremony.
Membership in the Reno Blues Society
We would love to have you join RBS! Members are entitled to a monthly newsletter and discounted tickets to all RBS events.
Our Board of Directors
Membership ~ Brenda Cash
Silent Auctions ~ Paula Nesbitt
PR, Newsletter, Social Media ~ Jamie Klund
Music Grants ~ Elizabeth Mink
Merchandise ~ Steve Kaye
Webmaster ~ Bruce Titus
Band Procurement ~ Dennis Ratto
RBS owes so much to our great sponsors!