Dear RBS Members and blues lovers,
Thanks for helping at Battle Axe and Track Music Festival Oct. 1-2. Shoutout to all volunteers and there were many but especially to VP and Merchandise Chair Steve Kaye for spearheading the entire effort, being there start to finish, and to board members Yvonne Deslongchamp and Roger Slugg as well as to lifetime member and our band procurement chair Dennis Ratto, all of whom worked pretty much all shifts, as well. We sold over $2,100 in merchandise (thanks for getting the hoodie sweatshirts, Steve), sold 2 tickets to Mash Bash Nov. 5 and signed up four new members plus added about 20 to my email list via Mailchimp, which is about 500 strong now. We've been in contact with event organizer Gina Lopez already and she says she will put the event on again the same weekend next year and that we will be part of the event.
M*A*S*H B*A*S*H Saturday, Nov. 5 at the Ramada
MASH BASH returns and we're back at the Ramada by Wyndham (1000 E. 6th St., Reno) with Blue Haven providing the live music. Our annual veterans' fundraiser is always a great time with all prcoeeds after expenses going to a local veterans' organization, this year again AAVD (Adopt-a-Vet Dental).Tickets are $25 and available at the link in this message via Paypal and at the door. RBS members get $5 of 50/50 raffle tickets at the door. There will be a bar inside the convention rooms (we are using all four of their4 rooms) with a full stage setup and large dance floor in place plus several clothed round tables and plenty of chairs. Doors open at 6:30 with music from 7:30-10:30. It's not a costume party but many will dress in military garb, camo or come as their favorite character from the 1980's sitcom M*A*S*H. All proceeds after expenses go to Adopt-A-Vet Dental (AAVD) again and they will provide some help for taking tickets. We will still want volunteers to work an hour shift if you plan to come and get a ticket so reach out to me. I'll do a volunteer signup and eblast as we get closer, too.
- M.A.S.H. Bash ~ November 5th at Ramada by Wyndham ~ Click here to purchase tickets
RBS' Third Thursday Schedule
Don't forget about our monthly social the third Thursday each month April through October. First one there, grab a table for us. The rest of the schedule is:
- October 20, at Archie's on N. Virginia across from the University of Nevada on their upstairs outdoor balcony at 5:15pm
Blues Jams, Shows Coming Soon
Every Tuesday at Harrah's in Stateline, the Buddy Emmer Blues Band does a show featuring a different guest artist from 8-11pm at the Center Stage bar. Buddy's been doing this series for years, with a little hiatus during Covid-19, but he gets local, regional and even national acts each week to be guest performers. The schedule is on the Events page.
Jamie Klund - President of Reno Blues Society
Keepin’ the blues alive in Northern Nevada
The Reno BLUES Society is a good source for information on great blues music in the Reno / Carson City / Lake Tahoe area.
If you're not an RBS member, join now by clicking on the "Join RBS" tab below. Once you're an RBS member you'll always have your finger on the pulse of all the blues you can use!!
RBS Offering Music Scholarships
The Reno Blues Society is now accepting applications for music students (voice or instrument) based on need. The scholarships will be $500 each and we plan to award three or four each year, depending on fundraising success and number of applicants.
We previously reached out to the music teachers at the Washoe County School District high schools and we are now opening this up to the general public. The brief nomination process is outlined below. Once this program is up and running we will accounce the deadline.
- Include name of student, year in school, and the reason he or she needs the music scholarship. (A few paragraphs are fine. We don't need a long essay on this).
- Student should be economically disadvantaged so that the scholarship would allow him or her to buy an instrument he/she is now renting or borrowing or pursue some private lessons.
- Student has demonstrated a real interest and talent in music, ideally blues, jazz or rock but not limited to those genres.
- Name, email and phone number of music teacher making the nomination.
- Include all this information for each student nominated, up to three nominees per high school.
- Send nominations with all requested information via email to email@example.com
- Student(s) awarded the grant and nominating teacher agree to be present at a future Reno Blues Society Dance (tbd) for a brief awards' ceremony.
Membership in the Reno Blues Society
We would love to have you join RBS! Members are entitled to a monthly newsletter and discounted tickets to all RBS events.
Our Board of Directors
Membership ~ Brenda Cash
Silent Auctions ~ Paula Nesbitt
PR, Newsletter, Social Media ~ Jamie Klund
Music Grants ~ Elizabeth Mink
Merchandise ~ Steve Kaye
Band Procurement ~ Dennis Ratto
RBS owes so much to our great sponsors!